Monday, November 22, 2010

For your pleasure and my practice

I will be translating midrash from the Genesis Rabbah.

The NAME said to Abraham "Go!" - What is written above this excerpt? "Terah died in Haran." Rabbi Yitzhak said, "If this is a matter of calculation, until when did he request of him another 65 years?" But in the beginning you interpret, "The wicked are called dead while they are living." And accordingly, Abraham our father was afraid and said, "I will set out and they (name of heavens - angels?) will malign me, saying, "He was survived by his father and he left him in the season of his old age!" The Holy One Blessed Be He said, "to you", "I absolve you (Abraham) from filial piety to your father and mother, but I did not dismiss others from filial piety to their father or mother, not yet, but I will cause Terah's death to precede your leaving (from Ur)" - as it was said in the beginning, "Terah died " and afterward, "The NAME said to Abraham, Go!"

No comments: